The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Baby Boomers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-there-are-more-reasons-to-be-thankful-if-30388178.aspx

Subject:  Re: Humbug! Date:  11/18/2012  12:16 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  191157 of 192883

But there are more reasons to be thankful if folks choose to be open to them.

True, but sometimes it takes a mighty crowbar.

Thanksgiving was always the most important holiday in my immediate family. So much in November to be thankful for--my parents' anniversary, and both my brother's and my birthdays. Five days apart. "You boys were planned."

After my mother died June 30, 2001 I was dreading the approach of Thanksgiving. I went through all the motions, but my heart wasn't in it. Thanksgiving morning I went to church before heading to Dad's to cook. I do love the three hymns, but it was the sermon that got through to me.

Apocryphal or not, the priest's take on the first Thanksgiving struck a chord. He said that the Pilgrim's had suffered so much that their first idea was to have a day of mourning. In the end they decided that no matter how bad things had been, they had more to be thankful for. So while my Thanksgiving prayer notes those no longer at the table, it gives thanks for the time I had with them.

Just home from doing my Gravy Day trip to market, humming "Come, Ye Thankful People" all the way.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us