The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthe-trend-is-that-youre-blaming-tax-rates-30388715.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama knew it was terror, lied anyway Date:  11/18/2012  6:23 PM
Author:  richieds Number:  1838222 of 1956949

"The trend is that you're blaming tax rates for the financial crash. It's wrong and its boring."

Never blamed tax rates for the crash. Never blamed Bush for the crash. Neither did I ever blame the GOP for the crash.

What I DID point out was, simply, that the worst economic crash since the 1930's happened while the wealthy were paying taxes under Bush's lower rates. No cause & effect stated.
The real point being that the GOP was wrong to refuse to compromise on tax hikes the past 4 years. While 2008 didn't prove that lower rates caused the crash, it certainly makes a huge dent in the claim that the only way to turn this economy around is by never raising taxes.
We can also go back to 1993 & Bill Clinton. Higher tax rates were followed by an economic boom. While I prefer to keep rates low, I'd never have given up as much as the GOP did to keep them that way for a wealthy few. Anyone paying attention now knows that tax rates are not the be all and end all.

Sometimes, you have to put away your ideology and look at the facts and the facts don't support the GOP's insane adherence to a policy dictated by Grover Norquist.

"ither way, have at it. I'm on record as supporting tax hikes. The voters want liberalism. Let them have it."

Liberalism? Maybe not. Compromise? More likely. From TARP to default to the fiscal cliff, Americans have had far too many examples of DC's inability to govern in recent years.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us