The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotand-i-know-youre-not-one-of-those-so-why-30388960.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama knew it was terror, lied anyway Date:  11/18/2012  9:23 PM
Author:  richieds Number:  1838287 of 1947652

"and I know you're not one of those, so why don't we drop the pretension that high tax rates caused an economic boom in the 90s?"

Never said it was. Point is that significantly higher tax rates under Clinton did not stop the next 5 years from having an economic boom and I'm just as sure that far less significant tax hikes on far fewer, wealthy, Americans will not stop the next one.

Fact is that neither side has all the answers but we were pretty close to a decent compromise that was stopped by Grover Norquist.

"Hey, I've now switched sides. The Republicans should roll over and give Obama everything. He. Wants. 100%."

Sure. Of course, I don't recall the GOP being in a position where they would have had to give Obama 100%. In fact, it was Obama who would have given up the most just to get his tax hike on the wealthy. The GOP had Obama where they wanted him but were spanked by their master, Grover Norquist, and ran away with their tails between their legs.

So, if you want to give Obama 100%, go right ahead....but understand you never had to.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us