The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Ask A Foolish Question

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-don-i-cant-disagree-the-mf-community-and-the-30389209.aspx

Subject:  Re: Fools in Canada Date:  11/19/2012  12:55 AM
Author:  Stephdgs Number:  259665 of 265860

Hi Don,

I can't disagree, the MF community and the boards here are incredible. I was a relatively dormant member of the community for a long while as a student and more recently took up a larger interest as I paid off student debt and I had a larger disposable income. I joined the Stock Advisor service and listen to the podcasts (market foolery and motley fool money) daily. Always a good time and very educational.

One thing I do disagree with is your statement about foreign content. As Phil said in his post, the foreign content limit is no longer applicable for Canadian RRSPs. It hasn't been that way since 2005, which may seem recent depending on how long you've been investing. The good news is your past 7 years worth of RRSP contribution room could be 100% US equity if you wanted :) https://secure.globeadvisor.com/servlet/ArticleNews/story/ga...

That doesn't mean that there aren't good reasons to learn more about Canadian stocks. For example, RRSPs are exempt from the dividend tax withholding on US stocks, but Tax-Free Savings Accounts do not enjoy that same benefit. However, they are tax free from Canadian dividends and all capital gains (US and Canadian). For the Americans that dont understand, TFSAs are hands-down the best way to invest after-tax dollars, although the cap is still quite limited at $20k, $25k by Jan. I'd recommend reading the Ultimate TFSA Guide by Gordon Pape to learn more about the pros and cons of the account vs RRSPs, although I'm sure you could also google some good stuff.

In any case, feel absolutely free to invest Foolishly in stocks of your choosing, whether they be Canadian or US. :)

Stephen.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us