The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/right-now-theres-likely-the-most-significant-cap-30389288.aspx

Subject:  Re: Current & Proposed Tax Rates Date:  11/19/2012  3:55 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116943 of 121219

right now there's likely the most significant cap gains tax harvesting I've seen in 25 years of investing..

I have to wonder whether all of those investors have thought the process all the way through. They are patriots, of course, since they're paying taxes they don't have to pay. But let's say they're selling and immediately buying back since they like the investment for the long haul. Let's also say they're "of a certain age" and plan today that they'll die owning that stock. They've paid taxes that never would have been paid had they not grabbed the perceived 2012 tax bargain. We recently had someone on this board we talked back from the ledge since gain harvesting made no sense for that particular Fool.

I remember a lot of "panic" Roth conversions in 2010 prompted soley by "such a deal" in the tax law. The conversion really didn't make sense in many people's retirement plans.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us