The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-see-two-problems-which-stand-in-the-way-of-30390395.aspx

Subject:  Re: WMT Redux--Epitome of Shameful Date:  11/19/2012  4:10 PM
Author:  StubbleJumper Number:  868872 of 883981

I see two problems which stand in the way of getting a better job... First, in some towns, it seems as if WMT is *it*. There are no other jobs, period. The other problem seems to amount to scheduling. It seems as if WMT schedules people in a way that makes attempting to interview elsewhere a difficult proposition. Impossible? No. But when you're working two or three WMT equivalents just to keep your head above poverty level, you're pretty much stuck.

Yep, those are most definitely two problems. I guess the challenge for every WMT employee is to make a mature decision about how to deal with those two problems. One approach is to admit defeat and continue along the WMT career path with all of the inherent limitations that SPL has already outlined. Or another approach is to not admit defeat and instead find a solution.

I don't know about other board members, but given the choice of a career at WMT or moving to a centre with better employment prospects, I think I'd choose the option to move. In fact, come to think of it, that's exactly what I did do in real life - I moved away from a region with poor employment prospects to get a better job in another region.

Or, I guess the alternative is to blame it all on the evil corporation.

It sucks to be an adult and be forced to make adult choices.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us