The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-is-my-opinion-that-long-term-we-are-all-where-30391561.aspx

Subject:  Re: WMT Redux--Epitome of Shameful Date:  11/20/2012  10:52 AM
Author:  MetroChick Number:  868911 of 883690

It is my opinion that long term we are all where we want to be doing what we want to do.

Or our lives are a product of bad decisions.

A few years ago MTV's "True Life" series did an episode called "I'm Broke" that covered the lives of a few young adults (18-25 range).

One girl and her boyfriend were struggling to rent an apartment and come up with first month's rent and security deposit. It turns out, she could've stayed at her mother's place, but her mother wouldn't let the boyfriend also move in. Well that wasn't acceptable to this couple, so instead of the girl living with her mother saving money while the boyfriend rented a room someplace else, they were struggling to afford a place together.

Another girl had a job at a local bar/restaurant where she made decent money with tips. But she got fired because at some point while speaking with the bar owner she went to get something out of her pocket and a joint fell out.

I think people making decisions like this is probably way more common in why people struggle to get ahead than the random person-caring-for-disabled-parent scenario.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us