The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/of-course-thats-what-you-think-if-you-30392203.aspx

Subject:  Re: WMT Redux--Epitome of Shameful Date:  11/20/2012  4:01 PM
Author:  desertdaveataol Number:  868917 of 884979

Of course that's what you think - if you acknowledged just how random reality is and how much of our life is determined by factors beyond our control, you would have to face up to just how cruel and pointless the kind of policies you advocate are.

MetroChick gave good examples of what I'm saying. In one the guy & gal chose to struggle towards an apartment of their own.

In the other the girl chose to smoke pot and carry a dubbie in her pocket.

"Another girl had a job at a local bar/restaurant where she made decent money with tips. But she got fired because at some point while speaking with the bar owner she went to get something out of her pocket and a joint fell out."

Now look at it from the bar owner's point of view. In my state and many (most?) others having pot in position of the bar's employees is grounds for closing the bar down for a time & a fine paid by the bar owner. The bar is then put on the list of bars to be checked more often and more thoroughly If it happens two (I think) more times the bar's licence can be revoked.

The girl may have been a GREAT waitress, but the owner couldn't take the chance. Just another example of cruel and pointless policies I guess.

Reality may be random and our lives may be [at least in part] determined by factors beyond our control, but we are the ones making the choices. Take responsibility for your own actions!

It is still my opinion that long term we are all where we want to be doing what we want to do.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us