The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-travelled-in-russia-last-summer-2011-my-trip-30395792.aspx

Subject:  Re: Russia, from above Date:  11/23/2012  9:40 AM
Author:  markbrynn Number:  19101 of 20786

I travelled in Russia last summer (2011). My trip was with a backpack, staying in hostel type accomodation and riding the train (with a couple of stops) from Moscow to Beijing.

Moscow was relatively expensive. Accomodation (on the low end of the scale) was not cheap. About 60-80 euros for a small and not particularly nice room. Food was reasonable, there were restaurants where you could have a nice meal (not fast food) for similar prices to the US or Western Europe.

Trains are reasonably prices, especially if you consider the distance/time. We tried both 2nd and 3rd class (3rd is no separate rooms, just an open plan carriage with bunks, which was very safe and good fun).

We only spent about 15 days in the country and about 7 of them were on the train, but I found it to be okay on price. I'm sure if you stay in proper hotels and pay for people to set things up for you, etc. the prices will rise. Even with the language barrier we didn't find it so difficult to find our way around and buy tickets to visit the Kremlin and other sites. Buying the train tickets were a bit more of a challenge, but even that worked out.

Enjoy your trip,
markbrynn
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us