The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/does-your-wife-have-a-college-degree-no-she-was-30396251.aspx

Subject:  Re: Can't have nice things Date:  11/23/2012  3:30 PM
Author:  Colovion Number:  656649 of 737256

Does your wife have a college degree?

No. She was taking classes at the local community college after high school but her health issues kept her from completing them. Then she suffered the brain injury three years ago. So she has three strikes against her: no college degree, health issues that make it difficult to get a job (she was rejected from the last place that interviewed her because she can't lift and carry 50 lbs. all the time, if her arthritis flares up she can barely move!) and she's prone to missing work due to illness (she's constantly sick to her stomach).

She doesn't qualify for disability (not enough work credits and I make too much otherwise) and I object to the program anyway. So we're sort of stuck. I hate to tell her that she can't spend money unless she's earning it given that she has tried to get a job but just can't. It's a problem I haven't solved yet.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us