The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/just-before-i-got-on-medicare-this-month-30396566.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mini Bummer Date:  11/23/2012  7:14 PM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  18072 of 19220

Just before I got on Medicare this month, insurance for both of us (spouse aged 64) was $1177. I hope you've got really small copays and deductibles for what you're paying.

It's amazing to me how different things are from state to state. In NC, my wife and I each pay about $10K in basic premiums to Blue Cross, and we each have a $2.5K deductible and a $2K co-insurance. With my current heart issues, I covered the deductible and co-insurance within the first few months of the year, then I had co-pays for drugs and office visits. My wife had a good year, so she only paid her base premium plus some drug and office visit co-pays. Bottom line: Regardless of the Part B premiums, I'm happy as a clam about being on Medicare, so long as they continue to cover treatment for my heart issues, which could include a transplant at some point in time. If they exclude these types of expensive procedures, then I hope they at least allow private insurance to fill in the gap. As it is, Medigap only pays if the underlying procedure is an authorized Medicare procedure. Times are a changing, so I guess we'll all have to learn on the fly.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us