The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-must-have-had-too-many-cupcakes-snowballs-and-30396820.aspx

Subject:  Re: Beef bones... what to do? Date:  11/24/2012  1:50 AM
Author:  kahunacfa Number:  869013 of 883922

I must have had too many Cupcakes, Snowballs, and Yodels so my sugar-intoxicated brain forgot to ask this.

My slow cooker has been simmering for a couple of hours since this morning 2.5 lbs. of cut beef marrow bones with a few dried bay leaves. I bought them on impulse at a bargain price of $0.99/lb., but now that they are simmering, I'm not sure what to do with them.

What are your frugal ideas for dinner, with beef bones (beef broth)?

I still have about 5 hours before dinner though I can also freeze the stock (and bones, if necessary) for a future quick meal. I have an idea of a mostly vegetable idea, or no added meat item other than the bones and stock.

Thanks.

ST
- slowlythere | Date: 11/16/2012 12:58:23 PM | Number: 869012

Very, very easy. Add some fresh vegetables, and several pounds of various kinds of dried beans and you have a beef vegetable/bean soup.

However, a question: If you did not know what you were going to do with the beef marrow bones, why, oh, why did you buy them in the first place?

Kahuna, CFA
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us