The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-cook-the-thanksgiving-dinner-my-relatives-30397060.aspx

Subject:  Re: Thanksgiving Menu Date:  11/24/2012  11:17 AM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  5465 of 5657

I don't cook the Thanksgiving dinner--my relatives do (they own a diner and they close it for the public on holidays and the family gets together there--so they make everything there pretty much).

They had turkey, ham, and 2 types of kielbasa--but also tons and tons of stuff I could eat:

mashed rutabagas
baked rounds of sweet potatoes with brown sugar-butter glaze
cranberry sauce--both canned and homemade
mashed potatoes
cole slaw
fruit platter
raw veggie platter w/sour cream dip

And it's not vegetarian but I ate some shrimp w/cocktail sauce (I eat seafood on rare occasions--the next time will be Christmas Eve when they have the shrimp as well as fried haddock)

Things that were vegetarian but I didn't have because they contain gluten:

macaroni salad
bread tray w different types of bread and butter
nut roll
poppyseed roll

I did bring my 'world famous salad' (that was a joke) of shredded lettuce, shredded carrots for color, a block of crumbled NY style extra sharp cheddar, HB eggs, and 3 Cheese Ranch dressing.

I also made cookies and candy--all gluten-free: pumpkin-walnut fudge, pumpkin shortbread, pumpkin raisin cookies w/orange-cream cheese glaze, and cranberry pecan bread (also drizzled with some orange-cream cheese glaze on top).

I also did eat some pie--there were many different types (pumpkin--duh--apple crumb, peanut butter chocolate mousse, lemon meringue) I ate slivers of some of them including most of the crust....I don't have celiac's but am just gluten intolerant---I can have a 'little' gluten without much effect--just not alot.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us