The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Genealogy

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/charting-30398128.aspx

Subject:  Charting Date:  11/25/2012  11:29 AM
Author:  Windowseat Number:  732 of 796

I've made a good deal of progress with entering information (with pauses along the way for comments like, "look people, you have the guy being born and dying on the same day. How is it possible that none of you noticed?")

But in terms of being able to locate information quickly, I've done nothing.

My mother's pedigree charts had nice handy numbers so you knew where to go next. The charts at Ancestry don't, in great part because I can click and create a new chart. But there are times when I'm trying to figure out where a person is on the chart, and that's where I'm hesitating. I know I can find people quickly through the drop-down for finding people, but I'd like to have information so I can find where they are on the charts; the person's whereabouts in terms of grandparents and so on.

I'd been thinking of a kind of Excel chart that would like the person's name, chart number, and personal number. I'd put the chart number and so on in the person's note section, but that isn't quite what I want. Do any of you have a system that works well for you?

Nancy
Two people dying on their wedding day! Explain the seven kids they had over the next 12 years!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us