The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-wwii-generation-got-a-sweet-deal-from-medicare-30398347.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mini Bummer Date:  11/25/2012  2:33 PM
Author:  Brooklyn1948 Number:  18074 of 19365

The WWII generation got a sweet deal from Medicare and Social Security, but those days are long gone.

How so? I was having a conversation with someone who lives in my apartment building and he had nothing but good things to say about Medicare which he was eligible for when he turned 65.
My husband and I met with a "medicare consultant" who is in her 70's and she advised us to get the basic medicare which costs about $100 a month and then to pay as you go. She said this works well for her. Of course she is slim and energetic and in reasonable good health.
As far as SS is concerned, a good portion of the population is retiring on social security alone which is pretty scary when you think about it.
Would like to hear your thoughts on what you know about Medicare and social security as I will be looking at both next year.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us