The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Dividend Growth Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-i-think-is-a-tough-one-not-in-the-sense-30400580.aspx

Subject:  Re: Norfolk Southern (NSC) Date:  11/27/2012  1:03 AM
Author:  kelbon Number:  7685 of 11389

This, I think, is a tough one. Not in the sense that railroads that move freight are going away anytime during my lifetime, or that they're about to stop making money, but for two shorter term reasons:

This business about coal and cheap natural gas. How, or when, it will eventually play out is anybody's guess. Those who think they know for sure probably don't. Even a stopped clock is right every twelve hours.

It is pertinent that Norfolk Southern ships an awful lot of coal and if less is shipped that shortfall isn't going to be magically, and quickly, made up elsewhere. An improving economy will surely help, but its not a magic bullet.

Secondly, with the so-called fiscal cliff looming, this stock, and most others, will likely go down if there isn't a workable deal on the table by the end of the year.

With consideration, although I've been monitoring this stock too, I'm inclined to sit on my hands and see what the next few months bring price-wise. If it goes up from here and there's no more contractions to the downside, there's plenty more fish in the sea.

kelbon
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us