The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/oh-no-i-myself-have-questionedappealled-the-30402612.aspx

Subject:  Re: Loss on rental house Date:  11/28/2012  9:33 AM
Author:  gsgreen Number:  117011 of 121219

Oh no. I myself have questioned/appealled the county assessors numbers several times. Always to get it reduced, of course. But the question was, where can one get a hard number to use as a FMV for something a few years back.
My position is that, in Washington State, one would be quite justified in using the assessor's numbers. Will it be absolutely correct down to the penny? Of course not. Will it be defensible if it ever came to an audit? Most certainly.
Even an independent appraisal can, and does, differ from one appraiser to the next. I have had appraisals re-done to get a different (better for me) number.
I never intended that my statements should imply that the county assessor's numbers should be the holy grail of appraisals. Just that they would be usable and defensible if needed.
Again, this is my opinion and is only in regards to the State I know - Washington.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us