The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Real Estate Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thats-a-lot-of-appreciation-historically-30403139.aspx

Subject:  Re: Affordable or Market-Priced Home a better de Date:  11/28/2012  1:34 PM
Author:  qazulight Number:  13648 of 13953

That's a lot of appreciation. Historically, housing prices have appreciated at close to the rate of inflation.

I don't have time to do more than a back of the envelope right now, but.for argument's sake let's say puts down 20% on either house,

If the expensive house only appreciates at 2%, he gets $49K in appreciation over the ten year term vs. $31K for the cheaper house. But he saves he saves roughly $46K in payments on the cheaper house.

I'm neglecting the difference opportunity cost in the downpayment, but that's probably pretty small.

The OP is considering a house as an inflation hedge. The lessor price house gives up the inflation hedge while allowing for more leverage at the same house note.

Personally, I think I would avoid the whole concept, high or low priced. To me there seems to be a lot of unknown risks.

Cheers
Qazulight
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us