The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-do-not-disagree-spending-increased-however-to-30405635.aspx

Subject:  Re: Facts are stubborn things Date:  11/29/2012  4:55 PM
Author:  MadCapitalist Number:  1841017 of 1947225

I do not disagree spending increased. However, to be fair, you must acknowledge the increase in spending occurred during the most severe recession since the Great Depression and WOULD HAVE OCCURRED regardless of WHO was in control. That is simply a function of the safety net which helped stabilize the economy in the mist of freefall and prevent the decline into a depression.

This is not true. It wasn't simply a function of the safety net. You make it sound like TARP, ARRA, the extension of unemployment benefits, etc. happened automatically.

My point is simply that Democrats have no justification taking the high road when it comes to fiscal responsibility. They vote to spend like crazy, and now they are adamant that we don't cut entitlements, which is unbelievably irresponsible.

By the way, the idea that we would have fallen into a depression if we hadn't spent like drunken sailors is pure Keynesian nonsense.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us