The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Insurance - Life, Car, Home,etc.

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-was-suprised-to-find-out-that-the-nfip-only-30406619.aspx

Subject:  Re: flood insurance Date:  11/30/2012  10:26 AM
Author:  rma1344 Number:  17699 of 17953

I was suprised to find out that the NFIP only covers ACV for commercial properties. Since I own a commercial building which is very old, the ACV (depreciated replacement cost) was a small fraction of replacement cost, yet my broker had me insured for full replacement cost. This meant that I was way overinsured in terms of the amount of coverage vs. the amount I could recover from the NFIP, and was paying a premium about 4 times the amount I should have been paying.

My understanding of how this works is that if you have a non residential building with replacement cost of, say, $1 million but an ACV of , say, $200,000,(using remaining useful life statistics or IRS depreciation rules) you should buy insurance and pay premiums on $200,000 of coverage since that's all the the NFIP will pay. Is this the correct way to interpret the NFIP rules? How does the NFIP compute ACV?

Thanks

Bob A
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us