The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks F / Ford Motor Company

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ford-recalls-again-30408384.aspx

Subject:  Ford Recalls.... Again! Date:  12/1/2012  9:22 AM
Author:  TMFBreakerRob Number:  17271 of 18153

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121201/AUTO0102/2120103...

Ford Motor Co. issued its fourth recall Friday for its 2013 Ford Escape SUV, citing a fire risk.

The recall affects 73,320 Escapes, as well as 15,833 midsized 2013 Ford Fusions. Some 80,000 of the recalled vehicles were in the U.S.

It's the latest setback for the Escape, introduced in June and a key vehicle in Ford's lineup.

<snip>

The recall is for Escape and Fusion SE and SEL models with a 1.6-liter engine.

The company said it has not yet established repair procedures, and can't say when owners will be able to get their cars fixed. Ford spokesman Said Deep said engine overheating can lead to fluid leaks, which may come in contact with a hot exhaust system and trigger a fire.

"We're developing a fix which is designed to keep the fluids from reaching the hot exhaust components," he said. "We'll update our customers as soon as we can."

Good grief!

I can't see how this keeps happening!

This discussion should be going on:

"So how did this happen?"
"Well, the fuel line is routed here and the connector ....blah...blah...blah"
"What alternative fixes do you have to make sure this never happens again?"

I'd love to be able to sit in and see what's going on and why this issue keeps cropping up! And..... I'd hate to be the fuel systems guy..... :P

Bottom line: The customers don't care about the technical details, they just don't want to see these things happening. Repeated issues tend to make a lot of people shy away from the product. Heck....would you want one of these cars with the 1.6L engine?

Final comment: I would imagine that Ford already has a "fix" (hopefully a good one this time), but are saying that repair procedures are not yet established because they don't yet have parts with the fix.

Rob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us