The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/not-a-surprise-a-store-offering-products-and-30410141.aspx

Subject:  Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date:  12/2/2012  3:59 PM
Author:  LurkerMom Number:  1841699 of 1961186

Not a surprise. A store offering products and varieties not available at Walmart will do quite well near to a Walmart--because it is supplementary to what Walmart sells and can feed off the traffic Walmart draws in. Meantime, other grocery stores will lose business because of that draw.

There is a possible major change in shopping coming up in the next couple years and it will be interesting to see how/if Walmart responds. They stand to lose a *lot* of business if they do not change the way they do business--and there is nothing they can do about it if they do not change.

Walmart is experimenting with it now--and failing big time. I do not have to guess, I see it failing to draw regular customers right here

The name of the game is competition. W-M has had great success, but other Retailers (? not sure if that is the correct usage of the word I am looking for) will eventually figure out marketing strategies that will entice shoppers to shop with them.
I have noticed W-M is offering more name brands and a better quality clothing line as well as sheets, towels etc...at least where I shop.

The nearest shopping Mall with the higher end stores are 30/35 miles one way from where I now live. So a large population of people like me appreciate stores that offer a variety of goods without having to travel long distances. When I lived in Milwaukee I lived within a few minutes from a nice shopping mall and blocks of strip malls feeding off the people traffic. There was a W-M nearby as well. Interesting to me now was I listened to the propaganda how bad W-M was, so I never shopped there.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us