The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-nearest-shopping-mall-with-the-higher-end-30410199.aspx

Subject:  Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date:  12/2/2012  4:48 PM
Author:  jerryab Number:  1841710 of 1976647

The nearest shopping Mall with the higher end stores are 30/35 miles one way from where I now live. So a large population of people like me appreciate stores that offer a variety of goods without having to travel long distances.

Malls look at housing density to determine how close to build another. If you are in a smaller town, you may be considered within the draw area of na existing store, so a new one will not be built nearer--until a competitor builds another store nearer to the edge (thus pushing the radius out for target customers).

When I lived in Milwaukee I lived within a few minutes from a nice shopping mall and blocks of strip malls feeding off the people traffic. There was a W-M nearby as well. Interesting to me now was I listened to the propaganda how bad W-M was, so I never shopped there.

Precisely proving my point. You had lots of OTHER choices nearby that met your needs. Now you don't live there. So you have to plan trips to the store rather than just do it on a spur of the moment or as part of a regular shopping routine. I think I have 8-12+ grocery stores within 3-4 miles--including a Target and Kmart with mini-areas selling food--but no big box store of any other type. Those are 6-12 miles away and include several Sam's Clubs, Costco, Walmarts, SuperTargets, and more. My favorite spot is a moderate mall with Cub Foods (Supervalu), Rainbow Foods (Roundys), Target, (you see the other two from any door of any of them) and Aldis just 3-4 blocks away--in yet another moderate strip mall with more dollar stores and other misc stuff I don't really use (but convenient if I do choose to use them). Southdale is maybe 10 miles. MOA is maybe 12 miles.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us