The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/certainly-we-are-quotdoing-betterquot-but-it-30411300.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions Date:  12/3/2012  12:49 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  414168 of 443918

Certainly we are "doing better". But it seems to me that our population has a tendency to expand just beyond the available resources (sustainability being a separate, but related, question). With far fewer food resources and a much smaller population, starvation was a real problem. Famines were common. Today, we produce vast quantities of food...but it's not enough because population growth has out-paced such gains.

Factor in sustainability, and I (in my totally non-expert opinion) think we are headed for a major crash. One that will likely result in significant population reduction. I know you're more optimistic, but I liken it to Easter Island. As resources run out, things get ugly and population declines. I know there are a few competing theories about Easter Island in that respect, but that does seem to be one of the more popular ones.

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us