The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/to-give-them-the-political-cover-to-make-a-30412229.aspx

Subject:  Re: That Obama is a Cheeky Ba%$ard Date:  12/3/2012  8:52 PM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  1842066 of 1957168

To give them the political cover to make a counter-offer.

LOL. Let me get this straight . . . You are saying that Obama should negotiate with himself and keep reducing his proposal from what he actually wants in order to provide Republicans with political cover. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had been in a coma during the past 4 years. That is exactly the tactic the Republicans have used against him over and over again. Perhaps during your comatose slumber you missed the number of times Obama tried to make his own proposals more palatable to the Republican congress only to have them reject their own proposals and move further to the reactionary realm.

All past indications are that this Republican congress will accept any concessions from Obama as a sign of weakness and move further to the right. This election indicates that the Republicans are already too far right to win a majority vote nationally. The best long-term strategy for Obama is to let them posture and pout where they are. The demographics that support their extreme agenda are a shrinking piece of the pie. Let them marginalize themselves into oblivion over the next couple of years so that we can finally make progress in this country.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us