The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hey-gordon-i-see-the-more-interesting-30412979.aspx

Subject:  Re: MSE Fails AV-Test, Loses Certification Date:  12/4/2012  10:55 AM
Author:  tketola Number:  182774 of 190389

Hey Gordon,,,,

I see the more interesting questions to be #1 How did this situation develop? and #2 Given the answer to #1, were the best decisions made?

My views -

#1 The security situation happened largely because MSFT made a strategic decision way back in the 1980s to keep their products functional with upgrades. i.e. A change for DOS 3 to DOS 4 would not render MultiPlan or MS-BASIC in need of an upgrade. This decision made if very difficult to plug existing holes and created an opportunity to add additional holes particularly as features and capabilities were added.

Well, lot of all that is true. However, looking back to the real beginning of MS-DOS 1.0, you need to go back to CP/M Written by Tim Paterson in 6 weeks, a true Quick and Dirty Operating System or a QUAD!

So, when you write 4000 lines of Assembly Code in 6 weeks, the result is a real QUAD, forget Standardized-Register-Calling-Parameters, forget Standardized-Error-Processing, and forget any type of Security Measures, NOT even a consideration. So, Bill and his boys purchased it, for $50K, and used it as their base. So, then they Tweaked it a little, and delivered it to IBM as MS-DOS 1.0.

In 1982 we developed a PC/Security Product that supported up to 8 users/Per-PC, with Log-In Security and Program and Data Encryption. In the Process we had to intercept every MS-DOS Disk-I/O call, and believe me it wasn't pretty. It was the biggest Mish/Mash that I ever experienced, in my 20, prior, years of developing Real-Time Control Systems. Of course, that was then and this is now, don't believe Win-7/Win-8 have anything to do with MS-DOS anymore. Yes, I know they still support it as a separate process.

The point is, that when some QUAD-Code gets written, just to get something up and running real quick, it hardly ever goes away or gets re-written properly. It just gets Tweaked and Enhanced and then it just lives forever,,,,,, LOL...

TK...

http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/definition/QDOS

(Snipped)

86-DOS - often referred to as QDOS, or Quick and Dirty Operating System - was written in six weeks by Tim Paterson, based on ideas in CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers), an operating system popular with early personal computer users. 86-DOS was designed for use with Seattle Computer's Intel 8086-based computers. It contained about 4,000 lines of assembler language code. Microsoft bought 86-DOS from Seattle Computer Products for $50,000, revised it, renaming it MS-DOS, and then delivered it to IBM for its new PC.

IBM rewrote MS-DOS after finding 300 bugs in it and renamed it PC-DOS, which is why both IBM and Microsoft hold a copyright for it. Bill Gates saw the potential for MS-DOS and persuaded IBM to let Microsoft sell it separately from IBM's PC projects. The initial IBM PC actually offered the user a choice of one of three operating systems: PC-DOS, CP/M 86, and UCSD p-System, a Pascal-based system. PC-DOS, which was cheaper, proved the most popular and began to come bundled with the IBM PC in its second product release. The IBM PC brought personal computing to the business world for the first time and was successful beyond IBM's imaginings. In 18 months, IBM introduced the PC-XT, which included a hard drive loaded with a newer version of DOS. Microsoft promised a multitasking DOS, but that never happened. Instead, Microsoft developed Windows with multitasking features.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us