The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltheck-i-was-in-seattle-over-the-summer-30413937.aspx

Subject:  Re: West Is Best: Protected Lands Promote Jobs.. Date:  12/4/2012  6:18 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  46570 of 59691

<<Heck, I was in Seattle over the summer spending money go to Mount Ranier, Olyimpic National Park, >>

If it were Mt Rainier and Olympic National Park, I agree it wouldn't be much of an issue.

But tens of thousands of family wage job were lost in the woods an mills, sacrificed on the environmental alter of the Spotted Owl. Two hydroelectric dams in Washington State and another in Oregon have been destroyed in the past year. Environmentalists made a run at digging up four major dams on the Snake River in Washington during the Clinton administration, and are busily working to get the courts to order their destruction.

Then there's the North Cascades National Park, where environmentalists are working to have Grizzly Bears introduced, which will cause a lot of rational backpacker to go somewhere else.

National Park camping rules are being made ever more stringent which excludes more and more human activities in national parks. Back country lakes which used to be stocked with trout now often have poison applied to them to kill off "non native" fish --- which often means all of them.

This is the environmental extremism which is ever more pervasive on public lands.

Theodore Roosevelt promoted multiple use of public lands. The environmental extremists of today want only their ever more extreme policies to dominate public land use.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us