The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/alstro-depending-upon-the-reason-for-the-study-30414356.aspx

Subject:  Re: saving money on medical care Date:  12/4/2012  11:45 PM
Author:  PolymerMom Number:  869290 of 883923

alstro,

Depending upon the reason for the study, it might be a good deal.

Presumably, there is something different involved, other than a different surgery technique. Typically studies like this test products, rather than techniques, but then again, maybe your doc is part of a med school.

I participated in a glaucoma study w/ my opthalmologist. Glaucoma is a condition that has a slow progression and I was already using Xalatan drops to control it. He was testing a delivery method/device, so I figured it wasn't a big deal. I could always go back to using Xalatan. The device was really intended for people who couldn't reliably use the drops.

Cataract surgery is a different animal, in that it's surgery (messing with my eyes). I'd do some research on my own (Google, MedScape, the company who makes the product, etc.)

Good luck, on whatever your choice is. I'll be interested in what your experience is, if you go ahead with it. MDH has cataracts and will have to deal with surgery.

PM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us