The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/much-if-not-all-nv-federal-govt-land-is-occupied-30414983.aspx

Subject:  Re: West Is Best: Protected Lands Promote Jobs.. Date:  12/5/2012  11:16 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  46594 of 62033

Much, if not all, NV federal govt land is occupied by the military. Areas 51 and 52 abut Nellis AFB, and is where they have tested and continue to test advanced aircraft and weapons systems such as bombs, the U2 spy plane, air combat training, and stealth technology--also the MIG that was stolen from the Iraqi Air Force by a defector in the 60s (he was ordered to bomb the Kurds and instead flew to Israel--interesting story!).

We've driven by this region, including looking down over it from the mountains between Las Vegas and St George, Utah. Saw some air force planes flying about. It's pretty country, desolate with some beautiful rock formations--and we saw a coyote loping by Area 51 (didn;t appear to be an alien coyote-), but I guess we have to do testing somewhere. I feel the same way about logging--we have to do it somewhere, but not everywhere. Whether or not the spotted-owl habitat was the best place to save, I couldn't say. But if you live in a nicely treed neighborhood, tele & SP, I bet you wouldn't like to see all the trees clear cut around you either.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us