The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-have-a-difficult-time-believing-theres-30415299.aspx

Subject:  Re: Already Too Late to Stop Climate Change Date:  12/5/2012  1:10 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  46604 of 58858

I just have a difficult time believing there's enough energy in sunlight to carry my lazy fat butt to the grocery store to buy more food.

Perhaps not (not yet-), but the Prius storage battery sucks up energy from braking, which seems even weirder!

My husband thinks we don't really need 2 cars when he retires. But I say let's keep his 10-year-old Prius until we can't drive it any more. We have to keep the CR-V as it has been modified for towing behind the RV. But we can both use the Prius for errands with just 1 or 2 of us. I have budgeted $60/month for gasoline in retirement (outside of RV trips), which is $20 more than we typically spend now, but I figure we might drive around more in retirement. Also since my BFF moved away, I don't have her doing half the driving when we did stuff together <sniff! miss her>.

I'm not sure why so many people drive huge trucks & SUVs when they seldom, if ever, haul anything. We've always liked having one very small car with great gas mileage and one compact or midsize sedan or small SUV/minivan for hauling kids/stuff. We don't really haul much stuff any more. Some men don't feel manly without a big vehicle. Some women don;t feel safe if they don't drive a tank. I think Madison Avenue is very skilled ;-)

FRUGAL GOOD FORTUNE
What with school, DH hasn't taken his Prius in for its 60k service, and it already has over 61k miles. So the local Toyota dealer called to offer a 15% discount coupon to get him in. Awright!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us