The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

Subject:  Re: Already Too Late to Stop Climate Change Date:  12/5/2012  1:10 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  46604 of 90131

I just have a difficult time believing there's enough energy in sunlight to carry my lazy fat butt to the grocery store to buy more food.

Perhaps not (not yet-), but the Prius storage battery sucks up energy from braking, which seems even weirder!

My husband thinks we don't really need 2 cars when he retires. But I say let's keep his 10-year-old Prius until we can't drive it any more. We have to keep the CR-V as it has been modified for towing behind the RV. But we can both use the Prius for errands with just 1 or 2 of us. I have budgeted $60/month for gasoline in retirement (outside of RV trips), which is $20 more than we typically spend now, but I figure we might drive around more in retirement. Also since my BFF moved away, I don't have her doing half the driving when we did stuff together <sniff! miss her>.

I'm not sure why so many people drive huge trucks & SUVs when they seldom, if ever, haul anything. We've always liked having one very small car with great gas mileage and one compact or midsize sedan or small SUV/minivan for hauling kids/stuff. We don't really haul much stuff any more. Some men don't feel manly without a big vehicle. Some women don;t feel safe if they don't drive a tank. I think Madison Avenue is very skilled ;-)

What with school, DH hasn't taken his Prius in for its 60k service, and it already has over 61k miles. So the local Toyota dealer called to offer a 15% discount coupon to get him in. Awright!
Copyright 1996-2016 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us