The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotim-not-sure-why-so-many-people-drive-huge-30415352.aspx

Subject:  Re: Already Too Late to Stop Climate Change Date:  12/5/2012  1:26 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  46609 of 59180

"I'm not sure why so many people drive huge trucks & SUVs when they seldom, if ever, haul anything. We've always liked having one very small car with great gas mileage and one compact or midsize sedan or small SUV/minivan for hauling kids/stuff. We don't really haul much stuff any more." - alstromeria

Where I live it's redneck as hell and it's a status symbol to have a big truck with humongous tires like a Dodge Durango or a Ford F250 and/or a big gas guzzling SUV. They are everywhere. And I don't have a problem with that if there is more than one person in the vehicle and they work construction or haul wood or something but mostly when I drive around town running errands what I see are thousands of cars with one person in it hauling nothing. Maybe groceries?

I realize that it's not economically smart to have more than one vehicle and you end up paying more for car insurance and registration and things like that so it doesn't pay to have a small fuel efficient car as an extra to run errands with but idealistically speaking, it sure would be nice if all those folks driving tanks could leave them parked except for when they actually needed them?

It's just one of my pet peeves. If I could afford it I'd be driving a Prius. I'm sort of saving up for buying a Prius one day.

I just hate waste. That is all.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us