The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/is-the-mortgage-business-ready-fer-the-free-mkt-30415474.aspx

Subject:  Is the Mortgage Business Ready fer the Free Mkt? Date:  12/5/2012  2:13 PM
Author:  tjscott0 Number:  658416 of 740094

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wal-mart-mortgages-could-fu...

f you insist on getting a mortgage from a big-box retailer, you have to go to Costco COST +0.49% , which began offering them last April in a partnership with a New Jersey community bank, First Choice Bank.

Nevertheless, one out of three people would consider taking out a mortgage at Wal-Mart, according to a survey released Monday by Carlisle & Gallagher Consulting Group.

Houtop said the kinds of mortgages retail lenders would make would be simple and straight-forward, not the exotic varieties of stated-income loans and sneaky balloon notes that the banking industry continues cleaning up to this day.

Still, if the financial crisis taught us anything, it should be that shopping for a new home-equity line should not be as easy as driving to Wal-Mart.

Consumers still don’t get enough blame for the housing crisis that nearly brought America’s economy to its knees.

Brokers, lenders, Wall Street bankers, politicians, Fannie and Freddie — they rightly receive their share. And to be sure, what really tanked the market, was the trillions in troubled mortgage-backed securities and derivatives — not so much the billions in defaults from homeowners. But in the end, it is one long chain of fools that began with a home-buying public that now wants to shop for mortgages at Wal-Mart.

I doubt if this will come to pass as TBTF banks will engage their lobbyists to stop such competition.

But if it did; I would contemplate selling my house & land & put the proceeds into gold & wait fer the bubble to burst. Then come back & buy up alot of land. The problem as always is timing.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us