The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-thing-i-noticed-is-that-once-you-volunteer-30415641.aspx

Subject:  Re: Sandbagged, but not upset Date:  12/5/2012  3:14 PM
Author:  Colovion Number:  658432 of 734640

One thing I noticed is that once you volunteer for a kids program in any capacity, you get sucked in. Too few parents get involved at all, so the ones who do volunteer wind up doing everything.

That's true. My wife spends almost as much time at my son's school as he does, and she isn't getting a dime for that. She is running the clothes closet where families can donate clothing for less fortunate families. She helps with the monthly restaurant PTO fundraisers by making and passing out fliers. She spends pretty much all day in my son's class on Thursday. She's the hall monitor on Monday mornings. She helped organize the Thinkstretch activities over the summer.

Tonight we're going to some math thingy from 6pm-8pm at the upper elementary school, no doubt my son and I will be doing math stuff while my wife helps run some aspect of it.

If only she had a paying job for all this work she's doing, lol!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us