The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoteast-texas-is-all-99the-same-30416091.aspx

Subject:  Re: West Is Best: Protected Lands Promote Jobs.. Date:  12/5/2012  6:42 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  46626 of 63079

"east texas is all ......99%........the same couple types of tree." - tele

I bet it wasn't before human intervention. Even Native American Indians might have started fires and burned off brush and killed native trees so there is no guarantee that what Europeans saw when the first arrived was what was there originally.

I'm not just blaming Europeans because aboriginal peoples are guilty of changing ecosystems too. Humans can really do a number on an ecosystem, even worse than what Elephants do when they tearing up forests and trees. The reason Humans, even primitive humans, can interfere so severely in a natural ecosystem is because they can start and control fire.

I've read books about what Australia was like before the Aborigines got there and they burned large swaths of land in the interior of Australia and turned a lot of formerly savannah grass/scrub area into pure desert. They also killed off a lot of large Marsupials when they go there.

I'd like to see what North America was like before man entered the picture, especially places that are now big cities.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us