The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-dont-mind-doing-dishes-my-moms-disposal-30416173.aspx

Subject:  Re: So, it's been 4 months... Date:  12/5/2012  7:30 PM
Author:  MissEdithKeeler Number:  869323 of 885722

I just don't mind doing dishes. My mom's disposal and dishwasher are broken, and I often cook dinner over there. Doesn't bother me at all to wash dishes and clean up the kitchen; truth be told, that's the one household chore I actually kind of like to do. I guess for me it's a bit of Zen time or something. It kind of takes me back to washing dishes at my grandmother's--she didn't have a dishwasher either. I remember as a kid after holiday meals being in the kitchen while my mom washed and my grandma dried, and their chat and laughter as they did so. Then I got older and was part of it too.

At home, it's just me most of the time, so the dishes are nothing. They used to get smelly in the dishwasher in my old house because I went so long before I had a full load. Now I cook, and often wash while I cook, so I usually don't have too much when the meal's over, just the dishes that were eaten from, and I wash them, let them air dry, put them away and I'm done.

I'll probably get a dishwasher eventually if I ever remodel the kitchen, but right now, it's something that's not important to me at all. I don't know if it takes longer or not--don't really care, for me, because I don't have kids, etc. that a lot of people do to take up their time.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us