The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-heartwarming-to-see-liberals-caring-so-much-30416199.aspx

Subject:  Re: GOP Senate Trashes Ill Bob Dole Date:  12/5/2012  7:46 PM
Author:  jdp245 Number:  1842561 of 1977499

It's heartwarming to see liberals caring so much about Bob Dole.

For me, this is not all about Bob Dole. There are two things at issue. The first is about voting against something that they didn't oppose because of some arbitrary pledge they made. It makes them look very petty.

The second is about their lack of respect for Bob Dole. I will say, I have always had a soft spot for Bob Dole. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I respect him greatly. He is an old school Republican (in the best sense) who was always able to bridge conservative and moderate positions. He was never afraid to cross the aisle on things that he agreed with. For instance, he has long been a supporter of civil rights, rights for the disabled. And I think he did a great job as Senate leader. If we had more people like Bob Dole in Congress, we probably wouldn't be in the deadlocked nightmare that we are now.

The Republican's turning their back on him wasn't just a snub to the man. It was an example, in so many ways, of the abandonment of the type of respectful politics that I think Bob Dole represents. It really is sad.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us