The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-chalk-this-one-up-to-a-life-lesson-for-30416310.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bought a Bad Engine Date:  12/5/2012  8:51 PM
Author:  Milligram46 Number:  69643 of 71250

I would chalk this one up to a life lesson for your son. I'm willing to bet he has learned several.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but $1600 for a block of Canadian rust from a vendor that didn't test the engine by their own admission is a lot of money. If he hasn't rated them on eBay, at least he can give them a trash rating.

As noted there are lots of vocational schools that could do the repairs on the cheap. Or, he could secure another engine from a more reliable source.

I will add, but again, maybe I'm old fashioned. I would have him pay you back for the second engine if you go that route. You seem like a really good dad from the little provided, of course we don't want our kids to fail but alas, nothing in life is free or without strings. If that makes you cringe, lets say a second engine from a reputable source is $2000 -- then have him pay 50% - over time if he doesn't have the cash. I think it is just solid life advice. Otherwise the lesson becomes, I have money problem - call relative to solve problem.

My two cents.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us