The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-the-medicare-advantage-plans-available-in-my-30416495.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare for mother. Big Picture needed. Date:  12/5/2012  10:58 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  18098 of 19369

Yes, the Medicare Advantage plans available in my area offer full coverage including medications for no charge other than the Medicare premium paid to the govt usually by deduction from your Social Security payment.

The catch is these are PPO plans. You pay copays on just about everything and you must go to an in network doctor or hospital to get the best rate. Copays can become prohibitive if you go out of network. In my area, the best regarded hospitals do not participate. So you must go to a second or third tier hospital or pay extra.

I worry that a major medical event with extended hospitalization could cost you thousands in copays.

AARP/United Health Care is one of the major promoters of this plan.

Medicare supplemental insurance (Pt B) gives you more choices at somewhat higher costs.

Medicare has an enrollment period every fall. During that period you can change insurers if you wish. I believe the end of that period is in the next few days. Call Medicare or check their website to be sure.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us