The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway


Subject:  BoatUS and Sandy Date:  12/6/2012  2:29 AM
Author:  michaelservet Number:  196592 of 226156


Here is a link to a post-Sandy video produced by the BoatUS Catastrophe Response Team.

As anyone messing around in boats eventually discovers, BoatUS (which may mean “Boat Owners’ Association of The United States” ; or Berkshire’s “Boat America Corporation” which performs the for-profit services; or a separate but affiliated political lobbying arm – all conducting business as simply ‘BoatUS’) provides a range of marine services including the Berkshire arm’s AAA-like emergency boat towing, boat insurance, financing, transaction services – and all manner of other boating-related activities.

BoatUS also publishes four magazine titles, available at its website. Here is an example of ‘Seaworthy’ For anyone going there, that “This Issue’s Video” YouTube link of a boat launching fiasco (those characters can’t possibly be Canadian, Ontario plates notwithstanding) is best watched with speakers muted!

The BoatUS articles in its publications often have insurance tie-ins – the examples used in safety and other articles reference actual BoatUS claim numbers, and there are sometimes interesting statistics from claim data,

Back to Sandy:

Looking back on this board, after the storm there were some criticisms tossed around regarding the lack of preparedness and general absence of self-sufficiency of folks in New Jersey. I can relate to that. The week and even much of weekend before the storm hit, we all weren’t sure where the storm was going to land. I spent the time battening things down in a New England coastal town. Boatyards were hopping. When the predicted storm track range narrowed considerably and it looked like NJ was likely going to get it head-on, I high-tailed it down to the New York suburbs to close things up. Just before the storm I fortunately thought to top off the tanks of a couple of cars (and pick up some stables - Chinese take-out, Costco-size bags of chips, some cases of beer, and lots of beer-cooler ice). Unfortunately I had already intentionally depleted all the other gasoline, propane and stuff like that so it wouldn’t be sitting unused all winter.

Being situated on a hillside, flooding wasn’t a concert, but high winds certainly were. The Monday evening of the storm, forecasts were for 40mph (average) with gusting to 80 or so – from the north for several hours and eventually clocking around to come from the east and the south. The detailed forecasts were pretty much right on, to my observations.

I can’t speak for sustained levels at the storm’s center at landfall, not being there, but while the periodic gusts were at hurricane destruction levels and perhaps even more damaging (I’ll explain in a minute) I could certainly believe the storm did not meet the ‘sustained 75 mph’ requirement for hurricane classification. My insurance adjustor, who actually seemed pretty knowledgeable about all this, concurred that there was a lack of actual evidence of sustained winds at the eye. Who knows.

That isn’t to say the storm didn’t cause hurricane-level damage. For several hours there were maybe half-minute spurts of terrific gusts, followed by similar lulls. At the gust peaks I could hear the gun-shot cracks as some trees in surrounding woods started coming down, but for the first few hours it was no worse than the usual nor’easter -type winter ice storm we are used to getting every few winters.

After several hours, though, those 75mph+ sporadic gusts started hammering in from the east, with the occasional really heavy gust from the south coming in increasing frequency. That’s when pandemonium hit. Several over-60-foot trees that had survived decades of icy nor’easters started coming down (including one that was closing in on Rockefeller Center-caliber potential) – all falling from the east or south, banging against the roof, against the chimney, and one huge cedar falling from the south square on one of the cars – the new one, of course. The earlier gusts had pushed so forcefully and irregularly from the north that you could see the rocking had weakened the opposite, southern-side roots to the point that they snapped pretty easily when equally powerful gusts eventually rocked the trees from the opposite direction.

Next morning I learned that the neighbors on both sides had trees come into their houses, one neighbor having a tree trunk crash right through a second floor bedroom. Fortunately nobody was hurt. The discouraging thing was that, at least at my place, the trees that really made the place all came down, while the ones I was kind of hoping would resolve themselves of course held up.

The main road out was completely blocked by downed trees tangled in downed power lines, and that road stayed blocked for days. The only alternate route, out over the hill-top, looked dangerous; it initially seemed pretty sketchy to be driving over powerlines draped across the street and under hung-up trees and poles, but people started doing it. The local utility company ended up just replacing the poles and re-hanging the same wires; being run over for a couple of weeks by cars and trucks apparently didn’t damage the wires as I would have thought (let's hope). This past week, officials for our little community (fewer than 1,000 homes) reported that over 100 telephone poles had been replaced.

The few days after the storm, gas station lines at the handful of stations that both had gas and power really did exceed a mile in length, at some times. Lines were remarkably orderly. Home Depot and Lowes both opened promptly after the storm using their generator power, and were doing a brisk business. They were getting in tons of stuff quickly, including propane and such. Traffic on the heavily traveled roads was amazingly orderly. The local police forces obviously had a well-coordinated and clearly marked traffic plan immediately in place that channeled flow so nobody was crossing intersections or turning into oncoming traffic anywhere, and could get anywhere they needed without traffic lights.

It ended up taking only a week to get power, and another to get internet, cable and such. Having a full tank of gas, charging the phone was no problem. Water was a concern, since the well pump was electric, and those 5 gallon emergency containers started looking meager after a bit.

The insurance adjuster finally got out after a couple of weeks. My homeowners deductible was only $500 – and to the point earlier, if the storm had had sustained 75mph winds (‘hurricane’ level), the deductible would have over $22,000. In any event, most of the really b