The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/josh-yawn-out-of-context-liberal-30416752.aspx

Subject:  Re: Desiring with Supreme Ardor Date:  12/6/2012  8:08 AM
Author:  Beridian Number:  414347 of 443916

Josh:

Yawn. Out of context, liberal Catholic-hating tripe.

From OP:
<<< I bought a copy while in college; my nauseated horror at the contents of that book was the primary cause for my conversion to atheism.>>>

The fact that the inquisition happened at all undermines the core authority of the church, namely that it is the bride of Christ and that the pontiff is the vicar of Christ on earth. If these things were true (even in the 15th century), how then can we explain such murderous wickedness sponsored by the church?

The explanation typically given is that men are flawed and these atrocities were the actions of misguided men. Then this confirms that we cannot trust these men because they are susceptible to grievous error. Then on what basis am I to have a faith in this church or in god? The only evidence presented is the testimony of such men. God himself is silent and absent. If ordained men can be so profoundly misguided about witches, what else might they be misguided about? How are we to accept anything that they proclaim? Jesus said you shall know them by their fruits, a tree cannot bear both good and bad fruit. What does this say about the catholic church?

This is the reason for my atheism, that men clearly cannot be trusted and independent of them there is no evidence of a god. Let's not also forget that the inquisition is not an isolated incident, history is replete with horrors committed in the name of religion.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us