The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/once-you-volunteer-for-anything-you-get-sucked-in-30417110.aspx

Subject:  Re: Sandbagged, but not upset Date:  12/6/2012  11:25 AM
Author:  arrete Number:  658541 of 741231

Once you volunteer for anything you get sucked in. I do my darndest not to get sucked in, but sometimes the organization wouldn't exist if I didn't do stuff.

Your observation is painfully accurate.

it is tougher not ot make it an even longer term commitment, and some pain involved when you do decide to get out.
----------------------

I destroyed an organization once - a computer club. I was saddled with being newsletter editor (I did NOT volunteer - I was directly asked in front of a lot of people - very awkward). After a while, no one wanted to be bothered with coming up with monthly programs. Getting the newsletter together and mailed/emailed out took about 3 days a month (sometimes longer, depending on material available). If I did a program, that was another 3 days, at least. So after several years of this, I announced I was no longer going to do the newsletter and asked for volunteers. No one came forward so they closed down the club. The president was also getting fed up with the lack of participation.

So if you have a group you want to keep going - at least occasionally offer some minor help. Otherwise someone like me is going to pull the plug.

arrete - I belong to another computer club now and I haven't done squat (I'm still in recovery). I may offer a short program on the new HD Kindle once I figure out how to make it do all it's supposed to do.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us