The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-an-aside-old-boars-like-that-have-a-very-30418400.aspx

Subject:  Re: Feral hogs run wild in TX Date:  12/6/2012  11:37 PM
Author:  bighairymike Number:  658669 of 734428

As an aside old boars like that have a very strong odor that taints the meat and that is why they castrate boar pigs when they are very young. The only thing old boars are good for is grinding up into sausage and then they can only put a certain percentage of boar meat into sausage or otherwise the boar odor will be overpowering.

I think the chemical that gives them that strong smell is called androstenone or something like that? Anyway it's pretty foul smelling.

Art

----------------------

I just got back from a deer hunt in Oklahoma. While there, one of the hunters was asking the ranch hand how his pig trap worked. He had built a large corral with an opening made out of cattle panels that came to Vee. The pigs could push through but not the other way. High volume trapping.

My hunter friend doing the asking has 300 acres near Wichita Falls that is covered up with feral hogs. And, here is the best part, there is a place in Fort Worth that is paying 90 cent a pound live weight for feral hogs. Apparently there is a big overseas market for wild boar meat. Whouda thunk it... Anyway he is calcuating a horse trailer full of hogs would be very profitable even with the price of diesel between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us