The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotmy-parents-didnt-have-two-cars-till-i-was-30418729.aspx

Subject:  Re: Already Too Late to Stop Climate Change Date:  12/7/2012  9:14 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  46667 of 59856

"My parents didn't have two cars till I was in high school (not even when they both worked...Mom took Daddy to the railroad station before she went to work, in fact before she woke us up for school, and picked him up at 6 after she fed us dinner), and I didn't have two cars in my household till I was over 30. So maybe making that work is sort of in my blood!" alstromeria
-------------

It's all in what you can afford. How much money you got. It's not like you can take it with you. There isn't any prize at the end of life for whoever has the most money left or whoever has been the most frugal.

And I'm going to tell you the truth, I'm the pot calling the kettle black. I'm a frugal tightwad cheapskate but if I could afford it I'd have 5 or 6 cars. I just like them. I like the freedom of being able to hop in my own car and going wherever and whenever I want to and not having to worry about if I'm inconveniencing anyone or leaving anyone (my wife) stranded.

Bonnie and I will keep two cars as long as we can afford and we can both drive. She has her car and I have mine.

Right now Linda has two cars, her Acura and her daughter's Toyota Yaris. The Yaris is bright cherry red and really cute and excellent for running errands around town. The Acura is bigger with a 6 cylinder engine and a whole lot more miles than the Yaris. Right now they are keeping the Yaris for when Linda's daughter comes home but it's looking like she might be working overseas for quite a while. They are trying to decide on whether they should sell the Yaris or not.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us