The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yoda-i-do-enjoy-reading-your-posts-find-them-30419686.aspx

Subject:  Re: Municipal bonds: A train wreck waiting to ha Date:  12/7/2012  4:52 PM
Author:  crackdclaw Number:  410758 of 465034

Yoda,

I do enjoy reading your posts, find them educational, and they often provide an outlook or a news event that I may not have accessed from other reading. Appreciate your reply and outlining the specifics on the St. Marys Georgia Water Bonds.

Also agree it's in the eyes of the beholder. I do own bonds, but none individually, only thru a fund. My preference is to leave it to the professionals on an asset class where I don't want to take the time to learn intimately. I'm still in the accumulation stage of wealth, investing for growth, with diversification. Yet in nine short years will shift to more income producing assets with the goal of retiring.

I would think someone buying individual bonds, especially those requiring an initial investment of $10,000. +, would have some degree of savy and an intelligent investing approach if they are managing their own money. These individuals should be aware of call dates on bonds.

As to a person deriving 100% of their income from bonds, and having their income decrease by 62%, not sure how you couple this with most Americans having difficulty raising $1,000. in short order. I would think if someone is counting on their investments in muni bonds to produce their retirment income, those investments had better be way north of $200,000.

As you stated, it's in the eyes of the beholder if this is a train wreck. That's the beauty of the Fool boards, exposure to new information and another's viewpoint. I admire your postings, and again, appreciate your perspective.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us