The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/true-dat-but-i-gots-a-number-of-old-recipes-that-30421969.aspx

Subject:  Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date:  12/9/2012  10:54 AM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  54770 of 55938

True dat, but I gots a number of old recipes that use the mixes as a basis such as;

RUM CAKE

1 cup chopped pecans
1 Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 Instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup . . . .;

Mocha Rum Cake

Cake:
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee
1/2 cup hot water
1 (18 1/2 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (3 3/4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup . . . . ;

And

Pistachio Pudding Cake

1 box Yellow Cake Mix (Duncan Hines )
1 box instant pistachio pudding
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped . . .

I don’t bake cakes often but I’ll occasionally make a rum cake or pistachio pudding cake for church and my post is mainly fur udder folks that bake similar cakes.

C.J.V. - gonna try jamesmw ’s Duncan Hines Clone recipe fur my next run cake, me

So the DH cake mix was 18.5 oz and is now 16.5 oz or ~90% of the original size. The impact on the recipes would be the following:

use:

3 eggs + 1 egg white (or yolk) instead of 4 eggs

3.3 oz of pudding (or 85% of a 3.9 oz box--which for some reason the jello pudding is according to the Kraft site) instead of the 3.75 oz

7 TB + 1/2 tsp water instead of 1/2 c.

just under 1 1/2 tsp. espresso--more like 1 1/3 tsp

14 TB pecans (oh heck, just use the full cup--extra pecans are a good thing)

and so on.....

You get the idea....sure it's a big PITA, but if you really want to make the recipe, just go roll with the punches and adapt it. Alternately, something I might do--is to email the recipe to customer service at Duncan Hines and then let them make the adjustments...that might wake the company up to the fact there are some unintended consequences of its effort to increase margins.....
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us