The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Ask A Foolish Question

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-the-link-my-impression-is-that-the-30422980.aspx

Subject:  Re: waddell reed & managed application portfolio Date:  12/10/2012  1:56 AM
Author:  angelman1 Number:  259854 of 266491

Thanks for the link.
My impression is that the bogleheads are sort of trying to replicate the same very basic concept as this MAP plan thing but rather than a sort of all in one thing it's just a manually setup thing, primarily using index tracker funds and presumably with lower expenses.
I am still trying to understand how best to compare this MAP fund thing with other strategies. I can see that I could compare the morningstar report for each individual plan under the MAP portfolio with some comparative index funds to see how they compare.
I cannot quite understand their graphs. What is the catch in their pitch. Of course graphs can be made to show anything you want, so what are they showing that shows such big gains compared to both the S&P500 and index funds?
What questions should I ask to "catch out" these Waddell and Reed characters?
Ideally if I could come back to them and say something like "look if you compare your fund with index fund b and take into consideration all these costs, tax implications, turnover then we can clearly see that your performance graph is a load of nonsense.. what do you recommend I do?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us