The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-gifts-this-year-are-dehydrated-herbs-italian-30424809.aspx

Subject:  Re: Five unpredictable homemade food gifts Date:  12/10/2012  11:17 PM
Author:  PolymerMom Number:  46730 of 61105

My gifts this year are dehydrated herbs (Italian Parsley, Sage and Rosemary) that I grew in my garden w/o pesticides or herbicides. I managed to dry a little bit of thyme this year, which goes to my "Very Special People List". Next year the plant should be well established. (We may also see how well it competes with spearmint<G>.)

I bought the dehydrator too late to dry either the basil or the spearmint. They'd begun flowering.

Next year I'll branch out to tomatoes and chile peppers, as well. I dried some for our winter use this year, but not enough to give away. I used the first of the dried tomatoes in the beef barley soup I made Sunday. It adds the right note of acidity - Yum!

I'm going to try to make a lime-flavored coconut meringue cookie for holiday visitors. It's a Mexican recipe, according to Better Homes & Gardens.

PM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us