The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-you-missed-the-point-of-my-post-i-am-30425607.aspx

Subject:  Re: State Tax Liability-Form 1041 K-1 Date:  12/11/2012  11:57 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  117112 of 121482

I think you missed the point of my post. I am looking for some filed documentation that would indicate that this interest was in fact from US Savings bonds which is exempt from state income tax.

I don't know if the Form 1041 commonly uses e filing (like the 1040 Form) where descriptions and attached schedules are lost in the data flow.

I think you missed the point. E-filing doesn't remove descriptions and attached schedules. They are part of the e-file transmission. In the case of US Government interest, it is not separately reported in the 1040 e-file transmission since it isn't reported separately on the paper Form 1040 or Schedule B. The same is true for Form 1041. However, when there is an associated state e-file transmission with the federal 1040 (or 1041) the portion of interest due to US Government bonds, etc. is part of the state e-file data since it is part of the state paper return.

The state K-1 equivalent is where you show the adjustment. Whether it is reported directly as US Government interest or as an adjustment to the federal-reported interest is up to the specific state.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us