The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/seriously-have-you-been-in-a-coma-for-the-last-30426134.aspx

Subject:  Re: Surprise-Another New Employer Fee in Obamaca Date:  12/11/2012  2:51 PM
Author:  MissEdithKeeler Number:  659430 of 750400

Seriously? Have you been in a coma for the last 40 years? Think about where we are, think about how we got there.

Here is a question to ask yourself, when they are imposing all these different things, why do they nickle and dime, rather than a straightforward easy to justify cost versus benefit tax?

Why are they doing this? Because everyone was so up in arms about universal health care or a single payer system. We can't have universal health care, oh no sireee. Therein lies the path to ruin. So we compromised, compromised, and compromised again.

So what we're ending up doing is patching a tire from 1945. It's been on the road and logged millions of miles, and we keep blowing that sucker up and sticking another patch on it, adding some glue, and trying to make it work on our 2013 Prius. At some point, all those patches cost more more than it would to replace the tire.

It works in England. It works in Canada. It works in Germany. It works lots of places.

But here in the US, we just want to make sure that our CEO pay averages 9x that of his workers, and hold on to our employer sponsored health insurance, and delude ourselves into thinking that we're not paying for the uninsured in other ways.

So many people want to complain about the problem, but no one wants to do anything about it. When someone tries to do something, they're villified, but no one seems to have a better idea. Except for what we already knows works elsewhere, but no sirreee, we can't have that.

No, I haven't been in a coma. I pay for the bulk of my own health insurance through my employer, and I'm glad to have it. I was glad to have it this year when I was very, very sick, and I was happy to know that I wouldn't have to declare bankruptcy or suffer other financial problems because of an inability to cover medical bills I wasn't insured for. I came out of that experience and realized that even at twice the price, it was worth it to have that coverage. Most people I know that have had catastrophic medical experiences for which they were insured come out thinking the same thing.

I think everyone deserves that security, and I personally think it should be in the form of universal health care. Since we can't do that, I guess we have to put up with the alternative.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us