The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-swing-of-200000-votes-in-4-swing-states-and-30426603.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pat Buchanan: Conservative Discontent Date:  12/11/2012  6:10 PM
Author:  brewer12345 Number:  659497 of 736303

A swing of 200,000 votes in 4 swing states and you'd be posting about president Romney ruining the country right now.

But we are not talking about president Romney. Don't fight the last war. FWIW, Romney should have won it in a walk given the modest level of GDP growth, still high unemployment, etc. The fact that he did not speaks volumes.

When Democrats lost the house, they still controlled the senate and the presidency. In contrast, the Republicans were shut out of all 3 and now are only hanging onto 1. I find it hard to believe this state of affairs is satisfactory to the people who run the party. But absent something that credibly appeals to a wider segment of the voting populace, it isn't clear to me how things will change. I actually look forward to see what the Republican party comes up with. I think it is better to have divided governmnent where both sides have to compromise and are kept honest by the other side. I suppose that the party could simply be waiting to see what message one or more of its members proves to be successful and then adopt some of it.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us